Thursday, March 7, 2019

Stopmotion: $64 Camera Crane!





   The next shot is complicated for a bunch of reasons. There's a real background, the camera movement is infinitely more complicated, I have to build a whole set. I'm sure the list is longer than I can think of right now. I spent last weekend building a camera crane from scratch. I need to pan down (finishing the establishing pan) then move the camera over and into the main character as he struggles to move the heavy bag of letters. I found a great video on youtube:

https://youtu.be/YF9FcSiL0Ho

edu Puertas has been a great resource! His videos are a well I've barely tapped into! I watched the one up above and simplified his version for my own purposes. Mine isn't controlled by Adruino's and engines, but it should (hopefully) serve my purposes. In fact, I'm hoping this will serve as my main rig from now on! It's all nuts and bolts I can tighten and loosen as I need. Everything seems smooth enough movement-wise.

I went to skycraft and bought bearings and steel square tubing, then went to Lowes and got a bunch of 3/4 inch wide aluminum bars. The rest of it is wood. When I assembled it, it became immediately apparent that It needed a really heavy base, so I cleaned and prepped one of the Train track steel plates I had laying around. I even JB welded lego plates to the bottom to make it level and now I can add and remove wheels whenever I want!

I built a 3' x 5' table and now I need to build the snowy forest scene on top of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment