Sunday, July 1, 2018

Stop Motion: Animatic


   Now that the PBY is out of the way, I can concentrate on the stopmotion project. I drew out all the frames for the intro animatic and today I'll be recording the last bit of dialogue for it.  

So the order of work is: Storyboard, Script, Animatic. 

In parallel to that it's: Character design, fabrication, set design, fabrication.

     This seems to be how I've been doing things. Since the intro is parody of an existing thing, creating the 'story' to the intro is easy. I can just watch the Rankin-Bass movie intro and make my own custom changes. Mine is very different but borrows heavily. In the Rankin-Bass movie, Fred Astaire's character is named Special Delivery Kruger or 'SD for short'. My characters name is Special Delivery Stuckey. 'SDS' doesn't dance, has no Postal snow mobile and doesn't talk to animals or the mail as in the movie. He talks directly to the viewer. The whole premise is that he's the unfortunate loser who deliver's letters to Santa the day AFTER Christmas, when kids just want to complain about everything. The joke of the whole thing is that the fourth letter is an adult who has been stalking Santa for years and finally has him right where he wants him and writes a lengthy Dickensian letter saying as much. This intro intentionally has nothing to do with the story of Dasos. That's the second overall joke. I intend to have a series of Dasos animations hosted by SDS. As the series goes on, we get to see all the weird habits and problems of SDS as we learn more about Dasos.
     I haven't worked out the Dasos story yet. It's REALLY hard coming up with a good story line out of nowhere. I guess it's more accurate to say coming up with story lines is easy, it's committing to one that's hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment