Monday, July 23, 2012

The Next Illustration: "Bad Investment"

I finally have an idea for another illustration. This will mark my twelfth illustration and the final piece to my portfolio before I start sending it out across our great country. 


This time around I thought I'd really put myself out there and give you guys everything as it happens. Every night I'll post what I've done... even my first sketch... sigh...



So here's my first drawing. I want a cheering crowd of animals at some kind of event, and I don't mean just happy, I mean a sudden explosion of unbridled celebration! At the center of this explosion will sit the main focus of this piece, someone who is utterly devastated.

I'm not dead set on a sheep. I thought a black sheep would be a nice little extra bit of metaphor, but I'm going to spend the next couple of days drawing whatever animals I can think of who might lend themselves to that perfect expression I want. Whoever ends up looking the most like despair itself, will be the winner. 

Of course I want the rest of the audience to be a huge variety of animals all showing different kinds of rejoicing. You can see from the overall sketch, I want the stadium roof, along with the foreground animals in shadow, to provide a nice frame for our devastated friend. I'm hoping that with this dark framing, the main character's being dark too will be a good composition.

My self set deadline is three months. The same time it took to make The Last Breakfast. 
Wish me luck! Feel free to make suggestions... especially on composition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment